After two and half years of renovations, Cartier reopens its flagship store on New York’s Fifth Avenue. This building was constructed during a time when this stretch of Midtown was where New York’s finest and wealthiest families called home. Within the last decade, the Cartier store and the avenue lost its luster.
Originally the mansion was once home to fancier Morton F. Plant. In 1917 he traded the mansion to Pierre Cartier for $100 and a lustrous Cartier double strand of natural pearls for Plant’s former wife. One of the most interesting factors about the renovation is the mix between it being a store just as much as it’s a museum honoring Cartier’s strongest celebrity clients throughout the mansion.
Customers are greeted by a painting of Plant’s wife wearing the pearl necklace and goes into The Maisie Plant Salon.
In the Andy Warhol Salon, there he’s shown with a self-portrait wearing his Cartier Tank watch.
Another salon is dedicated to Elizabeth Taylor filled and adorned with higher-end pieces.
On the second floor, dedicated to Grace Kelly, is an oval room housing engagement rings. The room also shares her engagement story to Prince Rainier of Monaco in 1955 who gave her a Cartier engagement ring.
The renovation was under the direction of architect, Thierry W. Despont. He not only designed each of the four floors but also restored original furnishing and chandeliers. Despont modernized the space yet still keeping the 18th and 19th Parisian styles.
Photo Credit: cartier.com/artnet.com